Wednesday 22 May 2013

For Wimps, Nerds and those who like the Big Bang.



Last Monday night was the inaugural meeting of the Beirut Big Bang Club. No, it isn't a group of aging hippies trying a bit of swapping with “50 shades” as the operating manual. Rather it has the high minded purpose of trying to make sense of the recent developments of modern science. The group is the brain-child of Vicky, an Anglo-Dutch lady ex-pat living in Beirut, together with two of her friends, Brighid and Tracey.

I was told never to accept lifts in cars from strange men, but I thought it was safe to offer some ladies of my acquaintance a lift back to Beirut after a memorial service up in the mountains for a late friend. They just happened to be the same three mentioned above. Rewarded for my gallantry by their company over an Indian meal, wine and conversation flowed. Vicky suddenly turned to me and said “You know something about black holes, Graham, could you come and talk to us about them?” She explained that there was a small group, including all those then round the table, interested in such phenomena but the group needed someone to explain things in understandable terms. Some years ago I had written a poem about the Large Hadron Collider (it’s published elsewhere on this blog) and Vicky thought I could, well, sort of, you know, expand on it a bit; in prose; with a few diagrams and pictures.

How could I possible resist? Quite easily you might say. “Sorry the buses don’t run frequently enough”, “but you have a car, you've just given us a lift”; “I’m going on a very long trip”, “No, you aren't  you've just come back”; “But I don’t know anything about the subject”, but that damned poem and my even more damned ego got in the way of that one. So I heard myself say “Yes”. Oops.

I prepared for what I hoped would be a twenty minute talk, covering a bit of the “Sky at night” with a dash of relativity propped up by a childish drawing of a space ship (courtesy of Prof. Richard Feynman), a few impressively big numbers and a teaspoon.



The day arrived. Vicky had accumulated about fifteen intelligent, enthusiastic, questioning people, gave everyone food and drink, and then started proceedings with an amazing introduction of someone that, I realised with some trepidation, was me.

And then we were off.

Some TV programs I've seen approach modern science popularisation with a “this is incredibly weird and complicated and difficult and you won’t understand it – see, look at these clever people standing in front of chalk boards writing loads of incomprehensible symbols and things”.  I’d wanted to do rather the opposite and show how the simplest observations like “it gets dark at night” can lead to profound conclusions with a small sprinkling of logic, how even really big numbers can become accessible (that’s what the teaspoon was for) and how the same phenomena that account for those exotic objects known as “black holes” have a direct bearing on things like the working of cell ‘phones and SatNavs.

After an hour and a half, barely half the material had been used and the questions were still going strong: thankfully, so were the answers. But enough is enough, so we adjourned, well, -ish, because the discussion kept going. It had made for an enjoyable if very different from usual evening, the first of a series no doubt.

A few loose ends need to be tied up. Getting dark at night implies the observable universe is finite. The teaspoon, well it turns out that if you count the number of water molecules in a teaspoon, and then calculate the distance to the edge of the observable universe, in kilometres, the two numbers are roughly the same.

Finally and especially thanks to Vicky and her friends for starting the Big Bang Club.   

No comments:

Post a Comment