Thursday 17 June 2010

UK hotels banish headaches

Paying my bill at an hotel in Somerset, I overheard the following exchange.
Hotel guest, “Have you got any Nurofen?”
Hotel receptionist, “I’m sorry we’re not allowed to give you those any more.”
Hotel receptionist, “But I can tell you where there’s a pharmacy.”

Various thoughts struck me, “I’ve got some, shall I help/interfere?”, “The Elfin Safety mob have struck again” and “perhaps it’s an insurance liability problem” and then, with true compassion and sympathy for my fellow man, I forgot all about the matter.

Until I walked into Tescos. And there, on the shelves, ready to be plucked and chucked into a trolley was enough Nurofen to cure a family of four’s accumulated head and other aches for a year or so. A quick look at the internet, and there’s a price comparison site for all the well known supermarkets, with Tesco even promoting their own version of the generic drug, Ibuprofen, and rather cheaper than the marketed, packaged and (highly) priced branded stuff. By the way, Sainsbury’s were offering the best Nurofen deal when I looked, must remember to get some before going back to Beirut.

So why can’t hotels hand out over-the-counter pain relief products? Risk of suicide? I don’t think so, with complementary razors being fairly standard. Worried that guests might get a little woozy and confused, errr, where was the bar again? Concerned about allergy reactions, weeeeellllll, the average menu proffers dishes containing nuts, dairy products, flour and sugar, which together would zap a good proportion of the population; so clearly anyone dining is expected to know what they can’t eat and take precautions appropriately. Test that last one against the dire warnings on supermarket (remember, those places where you get pain-killers) food packaging - “WARNING! This product MAY contain NUTS” emblazoned on every packet of, wait for it, SALTED PEANUTS!

I’m at a loss to explain it, unless of course…… ah, yes, I’ve got it. Once upon a time chaps without ties couldn’t go into the restaurant, guests wearing jeans and trainers were quietly requested to dress more appropriately, particularly if female. So now with T-shirts being almost formal attire, hotels have decided that they just don’t want the type of person who has a headache. Pass me an aspirin, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment